Are you a virtuous woman?

Tuesday, December 28, 2010

Know Your Worth

Hello LOV readers, hope you’re doing well tonight! First off I want to thank Krystal for giving me the opportunity to write a guest post for LOV. We all know she loves to write and does it well. I love to read so hopefully the many things I’ve read will help me to write decently. So here goes!

Some of you ladies out there may be stay-at-home-moms (SAHMS), like me and Krystal, or perhaps would like to be. I grew up in a Christian home and heard from day one that moms should stay home to raise their children while dads work to provide for the family. So when I was young, I prayed that God would give me a husband, and children, and allow me to stay home. Now, years later, God has been gracious enough to answer those prayers. So I should be happy and thankful in my current position, right? Well, maybe you haven’t noticed, but being a SAHM isn’t always the easiest job. And it certainly isn’t always glorified in today’s society. In fact, the woman who works 8 hours a day, commutes for 2, keeps her home spotless, cooks gourmet meals, keeps her husband happy, and keeps her kids in line, while looking like a supermodel is considered the Superwoman. This woman appears to know herself worth because she makes money to support her family, uses her skills and talents in the workplace, and takes care of home too. Sometimes I compare myself to Supermom and needles of doubts start pricking holes into my steadfast desire to remain home. Maybe the financial skills I learned in college are being wasted or worse, being lost. Maybe my kids don’t have the best of everything because I’m not making the money that could help provide it for them. Maybe it’s wrong to make my husband work two jobs to comfortably provide for our family when I’m able-bodied and can work too. Maybe my self worth is less than that of Supermom. Lately, these are just some of the thoughts that have plagued my mind. I daresay thoughts like these have crossed the minds of most SAHMS at one time or another.

The Bible places great emphasis on the important responsibility parents have in raising their children. According to Proverbs 22:6, we’re to train them the right way so that they can make right choices as adults. This is accomplished by following Deuteronomy 6:7-9 which says we’re to incorporate God’s word into every aspect of their lives. We should discipline our children for their sake, Proverbs 22:15, and for ours, Proverbs 29:15. Above all we as parents must keep a right relationship with God because Exodus 20:5 shows that our sins can be detrimental to our children’s future.

I am reminded that choosing to stay at home and raise my kids, is a job worthy occupation. So to all you SAHMS out there don’t doubt your choice. You’re dedicating all of your time to shaping the next generation by raising your kids to become godly, productive citizens of our society who can make an impact for God. At the end of the day, we are all Supermoms working to serve the Lord.

Know and embrace your worth.

Christina Gibbs, Guest Writer

Once raised by a Virtuous single mother, I am now a strong Virtuous Fashionista, who knows my worth, with a calming peace, who gives thanks daily, who wants to be a GODLY example to others, who is able to forgive my enemies, who has high expectations of me, who has been created in GOD’s own image, who lovingly submits to my spouse, who understands GOD's love, has an intimate relationship with GOD, supports Breast Cancer Awareness, with a family who honors me, Virtuous friends who love me, and with a giving spirit.

5 comments:

  1. Thank you for the post Mrs Gibbs

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very Well Put. Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That was very encouraging Christina! lately, I've been dealing with the decision of making a transition from a 40-hour week working wife/mom to a SAHM. Thank you for showing both the pro's/con's of what SAHMS struggle with. I am truly encouraged and blessed to know that I can go to God's word and seek Godly advise from other virtuous women on this topic.

    ReplyDelete

Remember to Love, Learn, and Own your Virtue.