Are you a virtuous woman?

Tuesday, February 1, 2011

Get Off Your Crutches!

A couple of months ago I broke the small toe of my left foot. I had never broken a bone before but, from observation, knew I would probably need to use crutches. Sure enough, the doctor I saw the evening after the incident told me I needed to use crutches for the next few weeks. Since I’m the mother of two small children, I didn’t see how that would be possible. When my one year old son decides it’s a great idea to take a flying leap from the ottoman, how would I get to him in time when hampered by crutches? To make a long story short, I made a follow up visit with an orthopedic doctor who told me I didn’t need crutches, just a surgical boot and some tape for my toe. I was thankful that I could walk, albeit painfully, unrestricted by crutches.

Do you have any crutches in you life? What’s keeping you from moving toward your desires, dreams, and goals? Could it be fear? It’s difficult to step outside of your comfort zone, to plunge forward when you don’t know what the outcome will be. In Isaiah 41:10 the Bible says, “Fear thou not; for I am with thee: be not dismayed; for I am thy God: I will strengthen thee; yea, I will help thee; yea, I will uphold thee with the right hand of my righteousness”. Perhaps worry holds you back and, if you’re like me, keeps you up at night. I continually remind myself of Luke 12:24-30. This passage talks about how God knows of and will care for our needs and says in verses 25 and 26, “And which of you with taking thought can add to his stature one cubit? If ye then be not able to do that thing which is least, why take ye thought for the rest?” In other words, why worry about something you can’t change or have no control over? Maybe you’re rooted in place because you doubt your own ability. After all, nothing worthwhile is easy, and maybe you don’t think you’re up to the challenge. But Philippians 4:13 tells us we don’t have to do it alone. “I can do all things through Christ which strengtheneth me”.

Don’t let the crutches of fear, worry, or doubt hold you back in life. Make the sacrifice to go back to school, talk to your supervisor about that much deserved promotion, or reconcile with that old friend. Whatever your goal may be get off your crutches and take the steps to move toward it. It may be painful at first, but with time and God’s help it will be worth it in the end.

In Christ,

Christina Gibbs

Once raised by a Virtuous single mother, I am now a strong Virtuous, Fashionista, whose fear does not hold me back, who runs to the Lord first about everything, who strives to stay on GOD’s course, who is saved by the grace of GOD, who admits to being envious of others at times, who knows my worth, has a calming peace, who gives thanks daily, who wants to be a GODLY example to others, who is able to forgive my enemies, who has high expectations of me, who has been created in GOD’s own image, who lovingly submits to my spouse, who understands GOD's love, has an intimate relationship with GOD, supports Breast Cancer Awareness, with a family who honors me, Virtuous friends who love me, and with a giving spirit.

2 comments:

  1. That was very helpful for me (so are all the others). I always look forward to checking out LOV. This blog has helped me spiritually. >;)

    ReplyDelete

Remember to Love, Learn, and Own your Virtue.