Are you a virtuous woman?

Tuesday, July 10, 2012

Two Fathers

This past Sunday was Father's Day, so I want to take some time to honor my dad Ronnie Hartwell. My dad grew up in a single parent home, since his parents divorced when he was a baby. Fortunately, his father was a part of his life while growing up. He was the baby of the family, but was never "babied". His siblings were much older than him so it was his responsibilty to do much of the chores around the house. He got his first job at age 13 and has worked ever since. Around that time period my dad was hanging with the wrong crowd and giving my grandma a bit of grief. At that young and impressionable age, he got up one morning and made the decision to drop those "friends" from his life, give his mom the respect she deserved, and move his life onward and upward. He met my mom in high school and they married the summer after graduation. They both entered the military together and my dad went on to become a career soldier while my mom left the Army due to my birth a year later. A couple of years after I arrived my parents became Christians and began to live for God. My dad was a young husband and father, but never shied away from those responsibilites. He's always worked hard for his family, earning his undergrad degree when I was a child, and more recently his Master's degree all while working full time. He took on a paper route that required him to get up in the wee hours of the morning, before going to his regular job, to help put me through college. He's always been the rock in our family, handling times of crisis with strength and composure and letting all of us know that God will get us through. I could write many more paragraphs in praise of my dad, but I'll end here and say God blessed me with a great father.

I hope if you have a great dad like mine that you showed him some love this past Sunday. Unfortunately, I know there are many out there who don't. Even the greatest earthly dad isn't perfect and can let you down. Thankfully there is a heavenly Father who'll never let you down and who can step in when your earthly dad doesn't choose to stick around or leaves this earth before you do. Romans 8:15 says, "For ye have not received the spirit of bondage again to fear; but ye have received the Spirit of adoption, whereby we cry, Abba, Father.". When you accept the Lord, you're adopted into the family of God. He isn't a taskmaster, waiting to crack the whip over us when we fail. He's a loving father that we can run to in time of need. Invite Him into your heart today and discover for yourself that He's the best dad you could ever have.

In Christ,

Christina Gibbs

Once raised by a Virtuous single mother, I am now a SAVED and strong Virtuous, Fashionista, that has been freed from a broken heart with God’s love, who accepts when God says ‘No”, who cherishes my best friend, who fears the Lord, who’s best friend is the Lord, that waits on discernment from God, who is living for today, who is a woman of strength, that understands the power of my words, that is aware of God’s presence, is allowing my light to shine, whose growing to be more passionate about serving the Lord, who can listen without pride to constructive criticism, whose fear does not hold me back, who runs to the Lord first about everything, who strives to stay on God’s course, who is saved by the grace of God, who admits to being envious of others at times, who knows my worth, has a calming peace, who gives thanks daily, who wants to be a godly example to others, who is able to forgive my enemies, who has high expectations of me, who has been created in God’s own image, who lovingly submits to my spouse, who understands God's love, has an intimate relationship with God, supports Breast Cancer Awareness, with a family who honors me, Virtuous friends who love me, and with a giving spirit.    

No comments:

Post a Comment

Remember to Love, Learn, and Own your Virtue.